Wednesday 22 July 2015

Project Progress Push

The project engineer was assigned a new task -  to conduct a weekly site walk with contractor site engineer to go through with the week's progress, obstruction faced and to discuss any obstacles that were holding back the project progression. This might sound a little pushy, yet I think it is a good way for me to learn more about on-site issues and technical stuff, not to mention the learning about what could be improved in terms of progression, work force arrangement or the entire project planning schedule.

So, I have set a target for myself - to conduct site walk at least twice a week. First one during one of the days on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, another one on Thursday together with PGI. Hopefully within these days, I could somehow catch up the practical issues on site. As for the rest days of the week, I have to improve myself in managing a project. In this context, the office or the paper works. There are many things to learn on how to control and keeping trace on the project progression from the office, and in the same time to push the contractor on doing work according to their plan, and even sometimes to improve their planning. Somehow I am still lack of experience on that, so the best guru I can shadowed is German and Hooi Leng. Learning the skills from them to be forceful to the contractor and not being over-controlled back by them. 

Also, I had learned a new thing from my colleague Laurence, on taking note of the drawings to answer to the project bosses. Mr Heng requested to paste the roof slab concrete pouring plan, while I have no idea where to get it, Laurence pointed it out in no time and we did it successfully. One thing I should keep in mind - always be vigilant on all documents and submissions from contractor, as those were the important information we need. 

Next thing to learn: Purpose, methodology and rectifying method for Sonic Coring Test, RQD and TCR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment